It’s supposed to be the happiest time of the year. But the holidays can turn into a disaster at your Sotheby’s Phoenix home unless you take precautions. 

 

Overnight Guests

Keeping your overnight guests comfortable at your Sotheby’s Phoenix home is important. Test your water heater before guests arrive to make sure there won’t be any problem in them taking a hot shower. Many water heaters have a factory setting of 140 degrees. Lowering that to 120 degrees will still provide a warm shower but will help you keep guests from getting scalded. 

 

Driveways and Walkways

While we don’t have to worry about snow and ice on driveways and walkways here in the valley, we still need to think about lighting. Poorly lit walkways can be hazardous to guests, especially elderly ones. Keep visitors safe at your Sotheby’s Phoenix home by providing adequate lighting such as security lights or even solar-powered lamps on your walkways. 

 

Decorations

Whether you’ve already decorated or are just starting to, avoid flammable decorations in your Sotheby’s Phoenix home. Paper, lace, and fabric decorations look great but they can pose a hazard to your home. Instead go with non-flammable and flame-retardant decorations. 

 

Never leave candles burning either. There are nearly 11,000 candle-related fires each year. Don’t leave candles burning unattended either and keep them out of reach of children and pets. 

 

A lack of water in your Christmas tree can also be dangerous, causing it to dry out and become a fire hazard. Make sure to check water levels regularly. 

 

Dogs

Whether it’s a kennel or a bedroom or maybe home office, find a safe place for your dog if it doesn’t like children or visitors. The CDC reports that 4.5 million Americans get dog bites each year. Small children are especially at risk. 

 

Kitchen Sense

While it can be fun preparing a holiday meal in your home, it can also be dangerous. First, make sure you cook food the right temperature so all bacteria and food borne illnesses will be destroyed. Second, never leave your Sotheby’s Phoenix kitchen unattended while in use. Cooking fires are the leading cause of house fires according to the American Red Cross. 

 

Prevent Drunk Driving

If you have guests who’ve had too much to drink, offer them to spend the night at your Sotheby’s Phoenix home. You can also be in control of how much alcohol you serve. 

 

The holidays can be enjoyable and disastrous at the same time. You can keep the holidays safe and fun by taking a few steps to prevent disaster.